In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Thursday, November 24, 2005


VIVA JUST GOT OVER!

The viva just got over! What a relief! I had just about cramped my head with all the current issues like the avian flu and what not and what was I asked? Dengue Fever! Oh well, at least I fumbled my way thru in a resonably coherent manner. My examiners were a Mat Salleh (Caucasian) named Prof Frank something who is such an sweet unassuming guy with a very nice gentle voice, as all physicians should have and Dato Kew, whom I have the greatest respect for. Here is one amazing lady. I have had the priviledge of working with her as a young house officer way back in 1997 and then again as her medical officer a few years back. Her clinical skills have no equal in my opinion. I have always found her rather intimidating! The Mat Salleh asked me about a disease called SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus) and it's management and complications. I think I answered rather satisfactorily. Oh ya, I decided to dress to kill (or be killed) today...being the only one decked in a business suit while others were attired in their clinical coats. I mean, if it went bad, at least I went out looking good! Heh heh!

Just for posterity sake, I shall list down the topics which were asked here so that my juniors can have an idea what to expect next time. Here goes:

1. SLE, Lupus nephritis, management, corticosteroids and it's long term side effects, osteoporosis induced by steroids.
2. Dengue fever, its serotypes, pathogenesis, management in a peripheral hospital, uses of "abate", warning signs of dengue fever, types of dengue fever presentation
3. Stroke, the latest trial, management in a young man presenting with stroke
4. Line related sepsis
5. MRSA outbreak and how will u manage it if u are the director of a peripheral hospital.
That's about it, from what I gleaned from my fellow colleagues.

Tomorrow it's D day! The final day of the exam. One final push. If we pass, we will all be physicians! Am going back now, rest a bit and start to practise on my bolster. Don't have a real person to practise my clinical skills on. Sigh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home