In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Post 666 call and no Omen seen

I have this nagging suspicion that I am put on call on Tuesdays by design. Some one out there is trying to prevent me from watching Desperate Housewives and CSI Miaimi and NY!!! DH comes on at 10 pm over channel 8 on Tuesdays while the two CSIs come on at 9 pm on Astro back to back. I read yesterday's CSI was supposed to be fantastic.

My call wasn't that bad last night, having managed to sleep at least 4-5 hours. That should keep me awake till, oh say, about 10 am this morning before I shall be seized with severe narcolepsy. There is one patient that is on my mind. I shall go see him again later.

He is a 15 year old boy from Terengganu who presented with neck pain, back pain, polyarthralgia, intermittent fever for the last 3 weeks and the sudden appearance of a rash over his back and chest over the last 2 days. There are so many possibilities but the one that nags at me most is, could it be Meningococcal infection?! Gotta take my boss along and see what he says. Also, a mental note to myself, try to get hold of either Rifampicin or Ciprobay!

I've had a horrible day yesterday with 8 referrals, out of which I have seen 6 by 9 pm! I shall see the other 2 today. Yesteday's clinic was awful as it ended way past 2 pm followed by a mortality meeting that went on and on and on. The bed situation was critical last night, having only about 16 beds for the entire night. Thankfully we didn't have to 'close' admission.

I hope today will be better. I hope I can finally see everyone on my 'to-be-reviewed' list today. I hope I can get off on time today. I hope I have enough energy to go to the gym and burn off my lovey-dovey handle. I hope, I hope, I hope :-)

Hope springs eternal.

2 Comments:

  • At 6/07/2006 01:27:00 PM, Blogger Jimbo said…

    Hi Sue,

    Excellent differential. In fact we think so too. It's way up in the list of differentials. Will let u know the final diagnosis. The boy is better today. :-)

     
  • At 6/09/2006 02:46:00 AM, Blogger 血大夫 said…

    ? systemic JCA

    at this age, bone pain + 'PUO' is still possible to be Acute Leukemia, more likely ALL, though rash as described is uncommon.

    Just my two cents..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home