In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

The End and A Beginning

I had to cover the cardiac clinic today, despite the fact that I am now fully interned into the ID unit. It's my fault actually because I personally requested to be in the cardiac clinic one last time this month because at one point 2 weeks ago, I was not really confident that I could reach my target of 500 patients for my thesis by the end of May. (Oh me of little faith!)

And so, today I had to cover the cardiac clinic, all by my own design. I actually enjoyed it, as I did all these while. If not for ID, I would have joined cardio (but then again, most cardiologists I know don't actually have a decent social life out of the work place.....ugh!). I did continue to recruit patients into my thesis (might as well right, since I am there) and so my final tally now is 510 patients! :-)

Today marks the end of my cardio attachment (unless they decide that I must cover some more). It also marks the first day I am in the ID unit. I am put in charge of the 'peripheries' meaning I have to see referrals. To me was passed a list containing the names of all those who were already referred. There were 33 of them! :-P

And I had 3 referrals today (2 of which were totally unnecessary) and so I have 36. I discharged one of them, and so I have 35 patients to review. Arrgh!

Hmm, I wonder if it's still not too late to be a cardiologist? ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home