In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Monday, March 27, 2006


Angels in America - Disc 2

Remember I wrote about this HBO serial earlier? I mentioned that I loved it. I also mentioned that I could not watch the second disc containing the remaining 3 chapters on my notebook. Some time after coming back from Redang (which now seems like a distant memory), I managed to watch the 2nd disc, thanks to my cheap but reliable portable DVD player.

Now that I have watched the entire series, I would like to revise my opinion. My verdict is, if you are going to watch this show, then just stick to the first disc and be left happy and wondering the remainder of the chapters contain. Perhaps there is a reason why the 2nd disc would not play!

I think the story kinda went down hill from chapter 4 onwards. The sight of the angel copulating with the guy with AIDS was little too much for my conservative mind. Never mind that it turned out to be a wet dream. Chapter 5 was a blur. Chapter 6, this guy with AIDS goes to heaven and confronts the multitudes of angels there! Seems that GOD has left his throne a long time ago, leaving His angels the formidable task of running both heaven and earth. And what a mess they have made it. HIV and AIDS made its appearance and people suffered. GOD showed no sign of coming back. The angels were all clueless. And Meryl Streep's Mormon mum character even had a lesbian-like encounter with the same angel. That really grossed me out.

And this guy (I forgot his name) with AIDS was there in heaven cursing God and actually called Him deragatory names...like the 'B' word that rhymes with Custard! To me, that was blasphemous! Never mind that this was a show and the director was probably trying to portray the anger, the hurt, the angst, the frustration of this guy. And yet, you know, even if I am in that guy's shoes, I don't think I can ever come to a point where I will curse God! I remember Job in the Bible, and what a contrast he was to this guy.

The show ended badly. At least for me. One of my friend who has seen it before, said it was all 'artsy-fartsy' and I do agree. The story could have been a lot better. The fate of the Mormon guy who came out as a homosexual was never fully explored. Too many loose ends and it felt rushed at the end. Al Pacino's character died early and never did repented.

I don't think I can ever curse God. You know why? Because for all the hardships that I may have endured or have to endure; for all the seeming injustices that I see around me; all the pain and hurts and sufferings of the world, I know in my heart that God is good. He has always been good and loving. He is not absent in heaven. He knows our sufferings and shares our pain. Some day all these will pass away. Some day all tears will be wiped away, all pain and sufferings shall cease. Till that day comes, I know that my 'God is in His heaven and all is well on earth' (to quote Bertie in the popular 'Ask Jeeves' books).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home