In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Friday, March 24, 2006

2nd last entry on Redang

Having a headache since waking up today. I don't know if it's psychosomatic. I always feel unwell when I am on call! I think it probably is. Tomorrow when I am done with my call duties, I would miraculously recover!

Am trying to upload some more pics here today using one of the pc in the hospital. If u see any pics at all, that means I was successful....


Yes! Managed to upload this one (after like 100 trys over 3 days!). The sign board say 'More More Tea Inn'. I am told that this is the place where they filmed that popular chinese serial called 'Summer Holiday' starring Richie Ren and Sammi Cheng. I vaguely remembered watching one or two episodes of it. I am not really a fan of the two actors (actually I hardly ever watch chinese shows), so I can't really comment. The women trying to put their head onto the mock up board here are obviously having a grand time; though I think they may have a gender crisis issue.

Water is precious on the island. In fact, the water that comes out of the taps are a little salty. The water in the hotel where I stayed was from wells (one of the beach boys told me). In fact, I am told the entire island is closed twice a year,in February and September, mainly to conserve water and because at that time, it would be the peak of monsoon and therefore fewer tourists. This sign found at one of the dive centre nearby is a humourous take on the water situation there! I suppose you can even buy a boyfriend there, or at least hire one! Heh heh!

A row of chalets seen on a nice deserted beach. This pic was taken on the way home, on a speed boat. I think it would be nice to eventually retire to a place like this. Life would be carefree with plenty of sun and fun. But I reckon I would be sick of eating tender coconuts after a while...

The weather reflected our mood when it was time to go home. It was all dark and gloomy; but midway through our journey back to the mainland, the sun broke out between the gloomy clouds. What a sight it was. Things weren't so gloomy any more after that.

One final look at the island paradise that we spent 3 glorious days in. Some day I will go back there again....and it won't be for some conference or for just 3 days. :-)

Some of us didn't even have the energy for a last look and instead drifted off to slumberland. Fun can very tiring...


It would be an unpardonable sin not to stop and buy some dried 'keropok' (crackers) from any of the hundred of stores by the road side. The keropok lekor is a well known delicacy in Terengganu as well as the other 2 states in the East Coast of Malaysia. I think the state economy survived mainly on it! The keropok lekor looks suspiciously like a very dehydrated sea cucumber but is made of fish paste and taste delicious especially when dipped in a special sauce.

Ok, that's about it. The final posting on Redang will be about snorkeling and all the wonders under the sea...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home