In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Sunday, January 15, 2006


HOUSE

I watched the show "HOUSE" for the second time yesterday. I know it has been around for some time already but I never really actually sat down and watched it until last week when I watched it by accident. I thought it was a sunday and so happily settled down to watch what I thought would be CSI showing on ASTRO but as it turned out, it was a Saturday and HOUSE came on. And what a merry accident it was.

I must say I truly enjoyed the show last week. Dr Gregory House, a limping (I didn't watch the episode on how he came about to be like that) cynical, brilliant physician with a dry and almost sarcastic wit and humor, takes a bunch of young doctors as they explore one medical mystery after another. Last week was particularly funny...having Carmen Elektra as one of his imaginary patient as he went about a few clinical scenarios was hilarious.

Yesterday's episode was very interesting. He had to diagnose what was ailing his ex's hubby. On the one hand, he wished that his rival dies (he confessed it in the show) but on the other, his calling as a physician meant that he was obligated to treat.

I can identify with Dr. House in many ways. No, I don't have a limp, I don't have a stubble, I am not that old and I am definitely not brilliant like him. But, like him, I enjoy a medical mystery, a challenging diagnosis and yes, my humor sometimes does border on the dry and sarcastic side. And, I enjoy teaching (Dr House, however, doesn't). And I can identify with many of the emotions that he goes through. I think it takes a "wounded" physician to be a good physician. One who can identify with his patients. Like him, there are times I wish I do not have to treat this or that person for this or that reason, but as a physician, I am obligated to treat, no matter what. It's a calling.

And so I have found a new engaging show to follow, just as CSI, LOST and Desperate Housewives have lost some of their luster. Heh heh! And to pat myself in the back, I diagnosed Acute Intermittent Porphyria some 20 minutes into the show, way way WAY before Dr House and team reached the diagnosis.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home