In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

THESIS

On MC today...just feel so horrible. Not sure if it's the post Christmas celebration or what. My body aches, my head weighs a ton, my eyes burn, I can feel a fever, my throat is parched and there's a hint of a cough coming. Arrgh!

So I had to take a Medical Leave today. The weather must be reflecting my condition,it hasn't stopped drizzling since morning. Sigh! I did take the opportunity to clean up my room. Something I have been putting off since the exam got over. The amount of dust collected is unbelieveable! And the amount of medical notes I have tucked away in every nook and cranny is just amazing! I even found my John Denver MP3 collection at the back of some files!

Ok, Ok, the guy's dead and his songs aren't exactly contemporary. But in his life time he did write and sang a few songs that really touched me. Ever listened to the lyrics? Listening to his sonngs usually transport me, in my mind, to some high mountain somewhere where there is peace and serenity. There I am at peace, I feel happy and I feel closer to God.

Anyway, now that I have a bit of time, and my head is a little less heavy (after the panadol I took), I start to think about my thesis. In my final year, I have to do a dissertation. The topic of my thesis is "The Prevalence of Erectile Dysfunction Amongst Patients with Ischemic Heart Disease". Or simply put in layman's terms "How Many Guys with a Heart Problem also have a Woody Problem"

The plan of attack was to recruit male patients attending the heart disease clinic in my hospital. My target is to get about 1000 patients! And I had hoped to finish it by June next year. Looking at the yield I have now from the last 3 weeks, no one can fault me for being pessimistic. So far I only managed to get 31 patients. That's an average of 8 patient per clinic, a far cry from the target of 20 patients per clinic! Sigh!

So,I have decided to start a count down here. I am being optimistic here. Another way to look at it is to say "there're only 969 patients more to recruit!!!!". Expect me to metamorphosize from cool to worried to panic and hysterical when the dateline draws near!!!! Gulp!

1 Comments:

  • At 12/29/2005 05:21:00 PM, Blogger Jimbo said…

    Actually my blog is an open one, meaning you need not register. But then again, since you have registered, might as well start blogging. Would love to read what you will be writing! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home