In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Hardip..

Now that's one interesting character. When i was in India doing my medical undergraduate study, I had the priviledge of having a whole room to myself in the hostel. Thanks to my room mate who decided that he had enough of vegetarian food, perpetual hindustani music streaming into the room from other rooms and the crampy hot room; and so he moved out mid-semester. Since no one ever register for a course mid-semester, I had the whole room to myself....until...

A knock on my door woke me from my summer slumber (it's really really hot in summer there). I quickly got dressed (u can't possibly wear anything in that hot summer! heh heh!), and in my semi -comatose state opened the door. Standing there, smiling in a stupid kind of way, is this punjabi guy who is just about a head shorter than me (I am 183 cm) and he promptly announced in his heavily accented English..."Hi, I am Hardip and I am your new room mate"! I nearly had a heart attack! I mean, you know, i am a chinese guy and I am going to live with a punjabi! It's unheard of! I am not racist mind you but at that time, shock was all I could express. I mumbled something incoherently and he promptly stepped into the room...and into my life. Looking back, I am glad he did. It has been a very colorful experience. He stayed for a little more than a year and half. Funny that I do not have a single pic of him but I could easily picture him in my mind. Tell u more later.... Lunch beckons

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home