In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Monday, December 05, 2005

December

is in my opinion, the best time of the year. The hustle and bustle of the year draw to an end. People begin to wind down and take things a little easier. All the nice movies will be playing in the theaters around this time. I am waiting to catch Narnia (hope it's as good as the book!), King Kong (loved the original, hope this one will be better) and whatever shows that may come next! There's an air of festivity all around and people are generally more cheerful (except for the lady in the Wira car this morning that simply refused to give way though i signalled like mad!...but that's another story; maybe she didn't believe in Santa anymore!).

Yup! Christmas is near! It's special alright. If I were to close my eyes and imagine a little, i could almost feel snow flakes on my skin! (the air con plus the monsoon outside help of course). But it's not special because of this. It's special because we are celebrating the birth of the King of kings! That's what makes it special. The simple story of the little babe born in a manger whose very birth changed the entire world. That's special. Christmas to me has always been a time to slow down, get quiet and reflect how the year has been; how my life has been and have I made a difference in anyone's life in year about to pass.



And December always brings with it a store of happy news. Glad tidings indeed! My son will turn 2 on Wednesday. We celebrated his birthday last Saturday. I don't think he understands the significance of his birthday but just like the babe who came and changed the world, Ryan's birthday has also changed my world. With my first child, Darlene, I became a father overnight! Ryan's birth makes me a father twice over and also gave me a precious opportunity to raise a man! Both of them are precious to me! I love them a lot. Ryan received a Fisher and Price toy set (whoever Fisher or Price is, I am sure they are millionaires by now judging by the cost of their toys!) which he immediately took a liking to. It's a toy set with fancy building blocks. I swear I have a little architect here or even an engineer as he can build the most amazing structures with his tiny hands....some even defy gravity!


Ben, one of my dearest friend, had his graduation convocation last Saturday. He is a male nurse in University Malaya Medical Centre where I work. Yes we have male nurses here. Florence Nightingale probably would have turned in her grave but, yes, with gender equality and all, we now have male nurses. And I think they do a pretty decent job (no, they need not wear skirts!). I first met Ben when he was still a student nurse, a little over 2 years ago. He has the distinction of being the ONLY CHINESE MALE NURSE in the entire hospital! He still holds the title. We became great friends. I really love this guy. He is like my own little brother. He would stick by me through thick and thin, and I would do the same for him. Well Ben, you did it! Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you! Sorry I couldn't attend your convocation! Will make up for it later ya!

Edmund, my dear colleague and friend, will be getting married end of this month! I will be going for his wedding in Malacca. Congrats Edmund! May God bless your marriage richly!

Dr Sargunan and Dr Nirmala, my seniors, will also be tying the knot next week! God bless you too!

Yup, I do so love December!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home