In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Thursday, December 01, 2005


Haris- U the MAN!!!

Haris gave me permission to write about him. Anyway, I would still have written about him even if he had said "no". The only thing he requested was that i post Brad Pitt's pic instead of his better pic (in my opinion). Apparently he felt that he has a lot in common with Mr Angelina Jolie though I could not quite understand which part of his anatomy is blond. He swear that he is! Oh well, maybe it's at a place where the sun don't shine.

First met Haris about 2 years ago when he came on board as a hematologist. I was a medical officer posted in hematology at the time. He is UK trained. Here is one man, who in my opinion is one of the humblest guy around. He is kind, gentle and never once have i seen him raise his voice. And he treats his patients like they are royalties. I mean, if u ever (God forbid!) have a hematological problem, this is the man you want to care for you and treat you.

Haris was put in charge of organising the teaching and revision courses for the Masters in Internal Medicine students. A formidable task really. Prior to him coming aboard, we, the Masters students were like people lost in the sea. No directions whatsoever, and there was hardly any real teaching or guidance (I am being general here in case any sensitive soul got offended!). Well, this formidable man took on the formidable task and turned things around as only he could!

Which brings me to the question...why am I writing about him? Well, because of his untiring effort, it was possible for us to have a revision course in October this year, a month before the exam which we just took. What made the course different this time was that for the first time, as far as I know, the Masters students from HUKM (Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia) and us in UMMC (University Malaya Medical Centre) were able to sit together in a course. We got to know each other very well and the camadarie helped when the exam drew near. We could help each other with our discussions and any "tips" we got wind of. Twenty of us sat for the exam, 19 of us passed! Now, isn't that a significant success rate?

So, Haris, here's a HUGE thank you to you from from all of us. You were a great help to us and thanks for being on our side. Thanks for all the smses you sent to us, encouraging us along during the exam period. You are truly a gem! Thanks again Haris, you are truly the MAN! Well, I guess you DO have a lot in common with Mr Pitt...especially the heroic things he does in the movies and now he is Pakistan it seems dishing out humanitarian aid. That is noble indeed.

Another person I would really want to thank is a certain Prof Sweet Young Thing! Can't name him for the sake of the future generations of Master studentswho will be helped along. But Prof, I salute you. We are what we are today because of you. Thank you!

5 Comments:

  • At 12/01/2005 10:48:00 PM, Blogger edina monsoon said…

    From all of us UKM folks...THANK YOU DR Harris for all the help. I'm glad we passed....and the revision course helped LOADS.

     
  • At 12/01/2005 10:49:00 PM, Blogger edina monsoon said…

    Sorry that should read H-A-R-I-S. I put an extra "r" there UNintentionally. Secretly dyslexic so you will excuse this typo I'm sure.

     
  • At 12/01/2005 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Jimbo said…

    Haris sms me and said he doesn't deserve all the accolades. See how humble this guy is! He also said it made his pregnant wife cry. Heh Heh! Maybe I should consider writing a book, romance maybe since I can pull the heart strings effectively. Heh heh!

     
  • At 12/02/2005 07:29:00 PM, Blogger edina monsoon said…

    Could you give me Dr Haris' email add? Would like to send him a thnk you card. Sms it to me when you're free. No hurry.

     
  • At 12/06/2005 12:01:00 AM, Blogger edina monsoon said…

    Thanks:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home