In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Culture of Silence

I just came back from attending the monthly department meeting. This monthly meeting is usually a boring affair, mainly to discuss issues as ancient as the Jurassic Park (and as unresolved as well).

Today, it was slightly different. Today I spoke up (rather emphatically I'm afraid). I won't be writing about the issue here. It's not important. What's important is the fact that I personally know very few people who will speak up for what they believe in. Mainly because it will make them unpopular and it may even jeopardize their career should they voice their contra-opinion on issues that their superiors are advocating. I call that cowardice.

I believe in standing for what I believe is right. I believe in speaking up when injustice is done or imposed on others. I do not subscribe to the culture of silence....of keeping quiet, hoping the issue will just blow over; or just swallow your pride and go with the flow, even if it meant more work, more burden, more responsibilities, and therefore even more risks of error and the vicious cycle goes on and on. This has to stop somewhere.

So, today I spoke up. I don't feel proud about it. I am just defending my conviction. I may well have offended some people and I don't feel good about it. Yes, my career may be jeopardized, my 6 more months here not be all that pleasant and my popularity rating may have taken a drastic dip; but I have peace and my conscience is clear.

I doubt that by voicing my stand anything will change but at least I voiced what I believe is in the hearts and minds of the silent majority. I do not subscribe to the culture of silence. Never.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home