In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

My personal masseur

I think there is nothing better than a good massage...especially after a particularly bad day at work or even a horrible night being on call. I usually go for a massage at Brickfields. The masseurs (males, I dont think I can stand being massaged by a lady!) are blind or visually impaired. They massage to earn a living. I think it's a decent way to earn a living.
I could feel my muscles being loosened as the massuer rubs away with some aromatic oil. The ambience is usually quiet, the air hung with a heavy smell of some aromatic oil, usually lavender; the conversation pleasant, soft music permeate the room, the lights dimmed. Ah, heaven!

But all these comes with a price. The blind massuers don't really charge much. RM35 for an hour plus usually. Other places are pricier. There's another place that charges RM50 for a 20 minute full body scrub (which is real nice) followed by a nice decent massage. I think lady masseurs charge more, another reason why I don't pick ladies. But even at RM35 a go, it can burn a nice hole in your pocket in no time. Massages can be very addictive! Heh heh!

Which is why I bought myself this nifty little gadget some time ago...just before my final exam in fact. Cost me about RM260. It comes with a "Longlife" paddings to be attached to the body. Actually if u read the instruction properly, it's not really "Longlife" as such..maybe like 500 times or so before it goes kaput. I have used it like 20 times so far.

It can do lots of stuff. The electrical current simulates a real massage...kneading, knocking, pulling...blah blah blah. Not bad for a small gadget. And it's quite effective too. At least it makes my shoulder aches go away...for a while. All in all I think it's a good investment.

But still, I miss the pleasant conversation....sigh. Nothing beats the human touch.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home