In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Friday, January 27, 2006

3rd WEEK INTO SCHOOL

and my little girl learnt that her teacher can be heartless. She mistakenly did her Science homework in her Moral exercise book. Apparently, no one bothered to tell her which exercise book is for what subject. So when her teacher (the MORAL TEACHER no less) saw her science home work in the moral book, she went ballistic! She scolded my daughter in front of the whole class in Malay and tore off the pages of her home work in the book!

I don’t know about you but as a parent, I am deeply concerned. First and foremost, that is hardly the reaction I expect the moral teacher to exhibit. What are we telling the kids? That it’s fine to explode in a fit of anger and destroy some one else’s property if things didn’t go the way we like it? Whatever happened to fact finding and quiet consultation? Whatever happened to level headed decision making before lashing out at people? I guess that is lacking in that teacher. I am not sure if she is morally fit to teach moral.

And then, whoever gave her the right to destroy the property of others, even though it’s just the exercise book of a 7 year old girl? And who gave her the right to tear off the science homework she did though it was done in the wrong book? I am hoping her science teacher will no go ballistic as well when she discovers that the homework is now “undone”.

And doesn’t anyone care that my kid has just started school, that she only know a little bit of Malay, that she has no idea which book is for what coz they all looked the same, that she has a heart and that it breaks her heart to see her hard work torn to bits? Maybe I am over protective but I feel that it is wrong, very wrong to assault the psyche of a young child this way.

If we have teachers like this, teaching moral no less, I truly fear for the future of this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home