In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

GYM MEMBERSHIP

I joined the gym! It's one of the things that I would reward myself with if I passed the exam. Actually, I received a trial 2 week membership at the Clark Hatch chain of gym from my credit card for my birthday. And so, I decided to try it out. I went to the gym at PJ Hilton, the one nearest to my workplace. I liked it the moment I stepped into the gym.

The reception was warm. They welcomed me even though it was a freebie thingy. I was ushered into the gym area and left to my own devices. Why do I like the place? Well, first and foremost, it was NOT noisy! I have been to another gym before and came out with significant hearing loss. The pounding music there easily have given me arrythmias. No point going to a gym to become deaf and worst still die of a heart attack there!

The music in the changing room at Hilton was piped-in jungle sounds complete with bird chirpings. It was relaxing indeed. The sauna and steam bath were well maintained and clean. The showers were spotless. In the other gym, they also had piped-in music, but by the likes of songs by 50 cents, 45 sens, 30 sens, ACDC, KISS, you catch my drift.

And the crowd...such a pleasant lot in PJ Hilton! Most them were professionals and there for some serious workout. There weren't that many people and no one hogs the equipments. I had pleasant conversations with a guy from Switzerland and another from UK. Locals included lawyers and doctors. In the other gym, most were there to see and to be seen. Not to say there aren't any at Hilton, in my two visits there so far, I have only seen one person who stared at himself in the mirror expressing lots of love and admiration for himself! I must admit he did have killer abs and a well toned body. Probably a model. Well, since he obviously worked very hard on his body, I suppose he has the right to admire it right, even publicly.

And the one that clinched it all? They did not hassle me into joining the gym. There was no hardlined propaganda, no pressure whatsoever. In the other gym that I visited, I had to endure 30 minutes of "talk" by this PR officer who was interested in everything about me, from my stats, to my leisure activities to how much i bring home every month, before I was allowed to go into the gym. And then he outlined a possible workout routine for me that would suit my preference (Like making a Brad Pitt out of me in 6 months....frankly I think it will need a miracle, plus face transplant) and basically trying to get me to sign above the dotted line. Sigh! I was so hassled, I lost interest in exercising.

So, I joined the gym at Hilton. Wasn't cheap but not atrociously expensive either. An extra day doing locum ought to cover the monthly expenses. They have a pool to boot, so that's a big plus. My goal? Basically to keep this old faithful heart thumping heartily and get all these exam exhausted muscles toned up. Nothing more grandious than that. No ripping bulging muscles for me...I think I am way passed that age. Heh heh! They were no freebies when I joined up. No T-shirts to advertise for them, no gaudy colored bags with big gym logos on them, nothing! ...And I like it that way. (Heck, I don't want to be seen carrying a gym bag looking like anything but FIT!!!)

Anyone wanna join me?...

3 Comments:

  • At 12/16/2005 09:04:00 PM, Blogger sbanboy said…

    Me me me ... hehe ... shucks you beat me to joining a gym.. I really should drag myself to one or just buy myself an exercise bicycle ....

    Well bro... you deserve it ...

     
  • At 12/22/2005 11:05:00 PM, Blogger edina monsoon said…

    I finally returned to the world of Yoga. That's right. Two days back I dragged myself to a class. This is after much internal conflict with self. ( I'm pretty good at that ) Class was great. We had an ang moh teacher...who spoke mainly with an american accent..mixed with ?german....and get this, she could rattle off a few phrases in mandarin. An hour later, I left a very satisfied person. BTW, aching joints don't come on until 3 days later.

     
  • At 12/26/2005 11:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    soon my friend soon.... when i can fit into my leotard again he he he...

    Mas

     

Post a Comment

<< Home