In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Monday, December 12, 2005


LOST!

Spent the last couple of days watching "LOST" in a marathon fashion. I have reached episode 10 so far. I am making up for lost time. I had to give up watching it when it first came on in Astro and later, on Channel 8, all because of my exam. Now it's payback time! Hence the marathon session. Thanks to Maz (the beauty i wrote about earlier, who has box sets of every single TV series you can name (she promised to lend me Desperate Housewives...goody!), I have the entire season 1 of LOST to watch.
And I must say, it's been great watching it.

I think whoever cooked up the idea for the show is a genius. I used to think, how interesting can it be for a bunch of fellas to be stuck on an island? I mean, we have seen "Survivor" and they all end up bitching and stabbing each other's back (hey..sounds like my workplace!!!). But NOOOO!, they don't do that in LOST! That's what makes it so engaging. There is no $1 million to be won, no one gets voted off the island, and the finale is not in New York or something.

Frankly I don't really have a favourite character in the show. I do, however, identify with Jack, the "hero" in the show. Okay, I know I am nowhere as beefy nor as good looking as he is (how can people look so good after a plane crash defies explaination) but... he is a doctor! The other similarity between him and me is that we both have dislocated shoulders (mine is on the left, his the right). Actually, it surprises me that he, as a surgeon, should know so much about medicine, gynaecology and what not. I have not met any surgeons in real life any where near that. Heh heh! Ah,but in fiction, doctors become superheroes and Mr-know-it-all, plus a body to boot and nice tattoos....and you've got a winner!

By the way, Jack's resuscitation technique sucks! You won't be able to save a dying chicken doing CPR the way he did, much less another human being. Much like what those gorgeous doctors and nurses do in "ER" as well. Sigh! Fiction is sometimes so removed from real life. In real life, most doctors are geeky, with spectacles, the nurses are married and way way waaaayyyyy overweight and there are no exciting background music accompanying any resuscitative attempts and more importantly, our success rate at saving some one in an emergency is dismal at best. Sigh! In the movies, everyone looks great, even after being on call 72 hours (after 72 hours, i can't even differentiate between day and night), the nurses look fresh out of an aerobic workout in Fitness First, the doctors are simply delectable, and ironically there is always ample supply of "O" negative blood to be transfused. (In real life, finding "O" negative blood is like finding gold).

Back to the show, whatever is said, Jack's character has "passion". Like I said before, i truly believe that one has to have "passion" in order to excel in what we do. And with passion, one will actually ENJOY doing something others may consider dull or mundane. I certainly love my work and enjoy doing it. I have no regrets leaving behind a good job, go overseas to pursue a degree in medicine and then spend close to a decade studying before I am what I am today. It's a calling. More on that someday.

I think "LOST" mirrors a very good biblical lesson for us who are Christians. These people are thrown into a sticky situation. They are marooned on an island where in each episode, they have to deal with some issues in their personal lives, some unsettled problems, something they have been trying to run away from. And I believe, for all the hostilities and mysteries present on the island that they are in, the island is there to help them deal with these issues.

Sometimes, God places us in sticky situations too, just so that we can come face to face with some unsettled issues in our lives. And more importantly, when the issue has been resolved, we come out stronger and wiser.

Now, where is Chapter 11....

3 Comments:

  • At 12/12/2005 07:39:00 PM, Blogger sbanboy said…

    Hmmm ... then I guess I am "lost" too ... stuck in GHKL with no where to run to but to face the things that I had been running away from ... facing my demons and overcoming ... yes I will come out stronger and wiser ... thanks for sharing .... hmm I should start saving up for the tv box sets too ...

     
  • At 12/12/2005 08:01:00 PM, Blogger sbanboy said…

    Hmm I guess I must be "lost" too .. coz I am stuck in a place with no where to run to but to face whatever comes my way.

     
  • At 12/12/2005 10:25:00 PM, Blogger edina monsoon said…

    I so know what you're going through. In my case...the addiction was/is desperate housewives...the entire first season. WoooHOOO. ...I watched it on my laptop in bed with the curtains drawn. life's little joys. Two days back...the laptop slid in slow motion and ended up on the floor. My wireless lan card is now bent. Oh and yes...the fall was paired with my own head hitting the wall and the ole bum hitting the ground. Don't ask! It's one of those things which happen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home