In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Oh my legs my legs!!!

Geriatric rounds were, well...slow; very slow. I calculated that on an average we saw one patient every 20-25 minutes. I have 26 patients in the ward today (full occupancy), so you do the maths. We finished at around 12.30pm just now, just about when I was going to collapse due to severe hypoglycemia (that's low sugar in the blood) and leg cramps. I could see varicose veins developing even as I type now. Thank God I got the piles taken care of a few years ago.... heh heh!

There will be another round this afternoon (we don't call it rounds for no reason at all!!!). Oh dear. God give me strength to endure. Ok, one more speciality to strike off my list. You know, it takes people with specials gifts to cater to patients in this particular age group and I truly admire those who do. Frankly, I don't which makes the work a lot harder. :-(

Perhaps it's because I only joined the ward today and do not know any of the patients there. Perhaps things will be better tomorrow. Geriatric patients tend to stay really long in the ward. Our longest resident now is a man with lung abscesses. He has been in the ward for 90 days!

Now I gotta go and rub my legs a little before starting the afternoon rounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home