In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006


TOILETS

I must say I was most impressed with the toilets in Beijing. I think the dirtiest toilet that I used in Beijing was the one at the Great Wall at Badaling. There were a few drops of urine on the floor. Obviously the grave sin was from some one who was a bad aim, or have severe prostate problems or he was so frozen, he peed icicles (which subsequently melted on the floor). Elementary my dear Watson...

But seriously, I was really impressed with the cleanliness I encountered there. Every toilet I visited was sparkling clean. I think one can even sleep on the floor! They all have dedicated staff walking around with their mop, cleaning the place the instant you leave.

I thought it was amazing considering that some of the places I went receives tourists by the thousands! In Beijing, they have different names for toilets. They don't call them toilets; the most commonly used word was 'W.C." which I think is an abbrevation for 'water closet'. One place named their WC as 'comfort room'. Interesting huh?

I also liked the concept of a shared wash basin area. The gents and the ladies are separated of course but they all used a common wash area after the 'business'. I think it saves on building separate facilities.

I think a nation's success can be measured in terms of how clean their public toilets are. I suppose Beijing would rank pretty high by this standard, what more with them playing host to the 2008 Olympics. Next year is Visit Malaysia Year...but judging by the way we abuse our toilets here, I really shudder thinking about what the tourists will think of us.


A very interesting sign outside a book store at the Changi Airport.

Toilets at the Changi Airport were of course immaculately clean. I wouldn't expect any less. I can't say the same for KLIA though.

A 'Comfort Room' at one of the places we visited in Beijing

A WC at one of the restaurants where we had lunch. The place was called 'A Fun Tin', a Turkish themed restaurant (very dark inside with TV showing Turkish dancers and singers...very distracting and noisy).

This was the stall at the toilet! Reminds you of a horse stable doesn't it? Woe betide one who is busy doing his big business some one decides to barge into the stall!!!

Another funny sign outside the toilet at the Beijing International Airport. On it were instructions on how to use a 'Shoes Burnishing' machine. I take it that burnishing here meant 'polishing'. I certainly do not want my shoes to be burnished (unless I am wearing copper ones of course). :-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home