In My Father's Footsteps

Learning that there is much more to medicine than diagnosis and treatment.

Friday, November 04, 2005

This is my first attempt at blogging. I had a very tiring day. Was covering the emergency department from 8 am till 8pm. It wasn't that bad as its Hari Raya, a major moslem festival here in Malaysia. Saw maybe 10 patients or so. Its an "overdose day" today. First guy took like 200 tablets of everything under the sun. Why? His two wives just found out that he has been two timing them. And he is also being hounded by debt collectors. Poor man. He is stable now but i have a feeling he might be going down hill over the next few days. The second was an elderly lady who took about 20 tablets of sleeping pills. She said she didnt feel like living anymore. Thats sad. How does one end up like this? And the last? A young indonesian girl who got involved with a Bangladeshi hunk here and ended up having an unplanned pregnancy. He didnt want her anymore. Meanwhile, her husband in indonesia found out about the affair and told her not to go back anymore. She has 3 kids there. And her employer found out about the affair and has made arrangement for her to be sent home. So, she took kerosene and malathion. Thats sad too. I wonder what would i do if i am in her shoes? What would u do? And the one that affected me most ?....a 10 year old girl who had half her face peeled off because the car she was in overturned and she wasn't wearing a seat belt. I can still hear her cries and screams. I am glad the day is over. I am tired. Need time to get over this.
My final exam is in 18 days time. I dont think i am ready for it.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home